Wednesday, February 26, 2020

My Parents - David Hockney







The photo I chose is My Parents by David Hockney. This painting was created in 1977, and it's medium is oil paint on canvas. He did have an early draft of this painting before he released it to the public but he abandoned it. He was originally going to put a self portrait in the mirror but he didn't. He painted from life but also used many photos that he probably took himself for reference. I like the colors he used in the painting they are calming yet intense because of the burst of yellows and reds from the flowers. Also, I found it interesting that in the mirror there are two paintings (creating a triptych). The first painting is The Baptism of Christ by Piero Della Francesca (I thought this was a funny coincidence because we had previously done a blog post on him). The second painting that is barely shown in the mirror is one of his own painting's called Invented Man revealing Still Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment