Thursday, April 2, 2020

Closed Contact


Saville collaborated on the series of works titled closed contact with photographer Glen Luchfor. It is a series of hyperrealistic self-portraits used from photographs taken by Luchford. I chose this series and this painting in particular because I found it was definitely the most thought-provoking for me. If this painting had been done in any other style than hyper-realistic than I don't think I would give off the same emotions or elicit the same emotionality from its audience. Saville said that this series was a comment of the beauty standards placed on the female body and how women are expected to achieve them, by way of tucking in and cutting off and filling up. This close up in particular leaves a lot to the imagination of the viewer, to let them decide what is says about the female body or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment