Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Art by CY Twombly





     

     The art piece titled, “Blackboard Painting,” was created in 1970, by the American artist CY Twonbly.   To create this art piece, Twonbly used white wax crayon, over a dark gray background. This background allowed for the four lines of exuberant scrawls completed by wax crayon to stand out to the observer.    
     The primary reason I was drawn to this work of art, was because it reminded me of cursive writing. This type of writing in itself can be thought of a work of art and is often under appreciated. The picture made me reminisce of learning script trying in my youth, where I was made to write the letter L consecutively by my preschool school teacher.    
     I was surprised to find out that this art piece price was estimated between "$35 to $55 million". To me, the simplicity of the drawing did not match the estimated listing price. At the same time, it made me realize that art does not have to be complicated for someone to appreciate it.  However, it made me also come to understand that anyone can be an artist, if the passion and drive fuels their creative endeavors to express themselves or make a statement. Because of this, an artist does not need to draw perfect lines, circles or shapes to make good art. 



No comments:

Post a Comment